The best place to be on the first day of the year? A restaurant! Even if you’re sober or don’t plan to overdo the drink tonight like everybody else, it you’re a people-watcher type -AND YOU ARE ABLE TO GET OUT OF BED TOMORROW- a good, greasy meal amidst a room full of hungover strangers is a highly entertaining way to start the year. Of course, if your head is pounding it will be anything but fun, so be sure to drop a few Ibuprofen with a full glass of water before bed tonight, and skip the street hot dogs too.
The day after a big night out we like to dress as comfortably as possible, and the first day of the year is truly the day to do this. Worn-in sneaks, slipper or Ugg-like boots, a loose maxi dress or sweats and an old rock tee are perfectly acceptable, and all go well with New Year’s Day’s two most necessary accessories: big black shades and big black coffee…
And by the way, if you aren’t in the mood to see and be scene after all that partying, these spots do takeout and a couple even do delivery! Click orange links for address, hours and more info.
6. ROLLING STONE LA The music mag-themed restaurant has a great egg sandwich (see above) and a menu full of tasty breakfast and lunch options, and a full bar for hair-of-the-dog drinkin.’ The best part about RS is you get eat surrounded by a bunch pictures of rockstars who look as worn out as you feel. Hangovers are so rock n’ roll.
5. CANTER’S From personal experience, we can declare this: the matzo ball soup at Canter’s isn’t just medicinal… it’s magical! Many a bad cold, flu and yes hangover, has been cured by a big ol’ piping hot bowl of this stuff. Add a deli sandwich for dipping and you will have comfort food nirvana.
4. BRITE SPOT Jan. 1st is a great day to check out Brite Spot’s new outdoor patio, but dress warmly… the weather man says it’s going be a chilly day. The baked goods here are stellar and more than worth putting off those eat-less-sweets resolutions.
3. MILLIES/MADAME MATISSE These side-by-side cafes on Sunset Blvd. in Silver Lake are both great to grub greasy goodies at –and gawk at the gaggles in dark glasses (like you) gabbing away about last night’s insanity.
2. KITCHEN 24 Our favorite juicy, giant burger in LA will hit the post-partying spot and if you just can’t wait til morning, you can go right after the club lets out. Indeed, with locations on Cahuenga Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd. in WeHo, these will be THE destinations for post-NYE munching, from 3am into the the next day. If there’s a wait, it’ll be worth it too. Just take a gander at our featured photo of their Eggs Benedict. Total food porn.
1. TOMATO PIE A giant pie is a simply perfect way to re-fuel after a night of debauchery. But don’t go the Dominos route. That’s just sad. If you’re going to indulge, at least start the new year off eating well (if not exactly wise). The scene inside the TP may not yield too much people watching, but you’ll be too busy chomping their delectable gourmet pizza to care.