Now that the holiday hullabaloo is done and New Years Eve celebrating has past, we can finally start looking back and moving forward. We’ll have a series of “Best of 2012″ posts through the end of the week. Barbara Walters spotlights the year’s most fascinating people, but we prefer to write about the most frustrating ones. Here, the downward spirals, shameless attention whoredom and simply annoying Top 10 celebrities of 2012.
10. GAGA - First there was Madonna’s major diss of “Born This Way”‘s rip on “Express Yourself” performed on the MDNA tour, then that less than realistic looking Vogue cover, the pretentious, unoriginal marketing of a new perfume and then — she got fat! She was never that big actually, but for a woman who used her body as part of the artistic package, it wasn’t suprising the extra lbs would be an issue for some. Gaga got defensive about the whole thing, stating -wrongly- that the grief she got was unfair since Adele never got the same. Huh?
Lady Gaga proved that no matter how hard one tries to fight it, what rises fast -at least in the celebrity universe- will most likely fall fast too. A new tour, the “Born This Way Ball” in 2013 may change things, but sealing the deal for her bad romance with 2012: her very un-PC stance on fur (which lost her tons of fans), her Amsterdam stage smoke-out with kids in the audience and her friendship with the Miss Bad Judgement herself– see below.
9. LINDSAY LOHAN - Another year, another lawsuit, court hearing, and fight in da club… Sigh. Just how much lower can Lohan go? Well, if her performance in Liz & Dick is any indication (we really wanted to like it too!), not much. If The Canyons (the film by Brett Easton Ellis, who by the way, didn’t have the best year either, totally getting passed over to direct 50 Shades of Grey) doesn’t save her career, 2013 may be the year LL finally goes the “reality” route. Of course, it will be faker than her lips, but we have a feeling it would be entertaining in a Bad Girls Club sort of way.
8. PARIS HILTON – Paris was relatively off the radar last year, but two major PH moments helped her get some bad gab. First, a very embarrassing DJ set in Brazil – in which she played two songs at once and had to be helped by a real DJ (“it’s called a fader switch, honey”). What made this extra cringe-worthly was the fact that she was being given DJ lessons (and love lessons) at the time by one of the dance world’s biggest names, Afrojack. They soon broke up. Shocker. Then some hidden tape of her talking trash about gays and the gay hook-up website called Grindr surfaced. When you lose the gays, you are pretty much done. Gaga take note.
7. ADAM LEVINE - So people love him on The Voice, but who wouldn’t seem down to earth next to Christina’s and Cee-Lo’s self-absorbed flamboyance? Levine’s statements about the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood where he got his start performing were not only mean, they were way off (the venue is known to treat local bands better than most clubs in the city). His Honey Boo-Boo public disses may have been right on, but they were way too harsh for a guy who 1) is also on a reality show 2) did the typical rockstar douche moves of dating models and getting tats 3) claims to have “Moves Like Jagger.” Um, no you don’t. Needless to say, we weren’t the only ones who really enjoyed his short but un-sweet amputation cameo on American Horror Story.
6. TUPAC HOLOGRAM - The holographic video image of the rapper shot to stardom at this year’s Coachella music festival, even garnering his own Twitter account and buzz about other hologram resurrections to come to the concert stage. But it was a fuzzy fad that, thankfully, faded fast and left the company that conjured it bankrupt.
5. RHIANNA- She’s as talented as she is beautiful, but girlfriend clearly aint too smart about her love life. OK, a lot of us have been there (hopelessly in love with a guy who is bad for us). She wants to be “Unapologetic” about her life (and apparently that includes getting bad tattoos). All good, but here’s a tip “Bad Girl RiRi”: if you don’t want your personal life to be judged, don’t put it all out there constantly on social media. Our advice: lay low, at least in your private life, and live it for yourself in 2013.
4. NICK STAHL - This guy singled-handedly terminated his career right here in Hollywood.
3. NICKI MINAJ- First she gets called out as a Republican thanks to some lyrics (apparently it wasn’t true), then there were those video leeks of her going off on Mariah Carey during American Idol tapings. Disses on media maven/senior citizen Barbara Walters didn’t help matters, nor did her shockingly boring E! TV reality series. Of course, everything could change once AI airs, beginning Jan. 16, 2013. We hope it does, if only for the people who design her clothes.
2. MARILYN MANSON - His career wasn’t as scandalous as we’ve seen in years past, but the Los Angeles resident had a pretty high profile locally, headlining the Sunset Strip Music Festival this past Summer. Just before that, he was all over the tabloid sites for writing the F word on his face at the airport. We scored an exclusive interview with the singer before his SSMF appearance and it was truly the strangest chat we’ve ever had with a rocker. For us that’s saying something. Read it here. His performance was equally bizarre and not a in subversively cool, artistic way. As we (and LA Times music writer Randall Roberts) both noted in our reviews and tweets, MM clearly needed some help with substances last year. Maybe 2013 will be the year the dope show finally ceases and his talents shine again.
1. CLINT EASTWOOD – If that awful, awful E! show Mrs. Eastwood and Co. didn’t make us question his judgement, Clint’s chair speech definitely did. It may have helped Romney lose the election, even. A bad movie, “Trouble With The Curve” added to Clint’s all around bad year, but if you ask us, it was the E! show that did him in. Sell your soul to the “reality” TV gods and your karma is messed for life, except for the Kardashians who didn’t have one to begin with (and why we didn’t even bother putting them on this list).